There’s no doubt that mayonnaise tastes delish. Yes, unfortunately, it does. I say ‘unfortunately’ because it is not usually a health food. You make it healthier (see our Healthy Mayonnaise), however even that contain egg yolks, which can be problematic for some.
Avocados contain healthier vegetable fats and work well as the main ingredient of an alternative mayo. They naturally contain the compound that is added to various products to bring down cholesterol levels. They have no trans fats and the fats they do contain, are understood to contribute to your health and wellbeing. Avocados contain a surprising amount of fibre. Plus they are a natural source of the minerals magnesium and potassium; both essential to heart health. They also have good levels of vitamins B6, Folic acid, C, E and K. You can eat too many however if on a weight reduction diet.
The colour is preserved by the lemon juice, so you can keep it in the fridge for a few days without spoiling.
There are a few ingredients in this recipe, however it is worth it! It is not an exact science; feel free to add more or less of everything until you arrive at the flavour that you really like.
- 1 Large ripe Avocado, peeled and stoned
- ½ Lemon Juice (about a tablespoon of juice)
- 3 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, crushed
- 1 Dessertspoon of Chives
- 1 dessertspoon of Cider or White Wine Vinegar (White balsamic is better, if you can find it. If you do you can leave out the Honey)
- ½ Teaspoon Mild Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon of Honey or Agave Syrup
- Water, to thin to the consistency you require
- Put the avocado in a small blender, and blend until it smooth. Now add all the other ingredients except the seasoning and blend again.
- Add a little water until you think it looks like ‘normal’ mayo, add seasoning and blend again.
- Make any adjustments you think it needs.
- Use a mild mustard like Dijon, watch it isn’t too bitter.
- Crush the garlic before adding to mix otherwise you will end with lumps – yuk!
- You may need to add more honey or agave; do this carefully otherwise it will inappropriately sweet.